Monday, June 13, 2011

Corinth #1

I've been in a dry place spiritually, a desert. We occasionally find ourselves in these places, don't we? Often we think something has gone wrong, that we've lost our way somehow. While there are times it is true something is "wrong", I now consider another possibility; He may want me in the desert for a while. Maybe my heart needs it. Deserts are places striped bare of all but the essentials, even the essentials can be barely found. It is a place of thirst and hunger as well as a place for remembering times more lush with His purpose, His presence. Psalm 63 recounts a time spent in the desert by David. So, I take to heart Jesus' words just before He left, "Lo, I am with you always" and know He is with me in the dryness that comes at times.

I've started a slow meander through I Corinthians. I wouldn't call what I do "study" but more a slow, thoughtful reading that is more about listening than anything else. I am reminded about what Paul wrote early in his letter to the Ephesians, "I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened.." (vs 1:18) and ask Him "What do you want me to see, to know?", when I spend time in Scripture. This attitude make this more personal, less ponderous.

I am stuck in the first 9 verses, actually one word, "called", has jumped out at me. If I am called, someone has done the calling and with that, there is a hearing implied. More deeper still, an active listening is needed. I am reminded about Jesus speaking about His sheep hearing His voice. This little word is not one to be skipped over quickly today, and the question arises, "Am I listening"?

The desert is a good place to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment