Thursday, January 27, 2011

Owner's Manual

In the glove compartment of my holybluemazdapickup is a little book. Its the owner's manual. I've consulted it a few times, finding proper jack points when I've had a flat tire and a few consultations of the fuse schematic when I've encountered minor electrical problems.

I've consulted the owner's manual for my other vehicle, a '97 Dodge Caravan. I wanted to change the air filter and I couldn't find it. I know, I sound fairly inept when it comes to my vehicles. In spite of the fact my dad and now my son were and are mechanics, I have little interest in what happens beneath the hood. Changing an air filter ought to be in the owner's manual, right? Wrong! Tim, my mechanic will have to show me one of these days.

My times with either owner's manuals is "need-driven". Curling up by a fire with a vehicle owner's manual is not my idea of a good read. Perhaps some would think that, but not I.

Some time ago, while still serving on the Elder Board at my church, one of my fellow elders was bemoaning how little time folk spend in the Scriptures. He said something like this, "After all, its the owner's manual". Something in me cringed. The statement, while correct to some extent, falls wildly short. Its almost like saying the ice berg that sank the Titanic was an ice cube.

Staying with that view of scripture denigrates the scope of what Abba has to say. It can't remain a mere "owners manual" if one is to come to know the author. It is so much more. History, law, ethics, passion are found in those pages. For me, I see it as a love letter, God's heart and the starting point of finding His voice as He desires us to hear Him in our hearts.

I am a fairly intelligent person. For the longest time I thought, whenever I would have those "Aha" moments of understanding, that it was a function of my intellect. That notion came to an abrupt end when I stumbled upon the little phrase Paul used in Ephesians 3, "the unsearchable riches of Christ". It brought me up short, humbling actually.

Unsearchable. If the riches of Christ are unsearchable then they need to be revealed; revealed by the Counselor sent, the Holy Spirit. Now I don't mean to infer study is not commendable. Scripture teaches us to study but those "Aha" moments are His voice speaking. I no longer see my intellect as the agent of understanding but rather the Holy Spirit, God's very voice gently speaking. It really is remarkable and has made Scripture come alive, become the love letter its intended to be.

Where to start? It may seem a ponderous tome staring back at you with a whisper of accusation, "You really need to spend some time in me". If you find yourself at that point, I suggest you start with the Psalms. There is so much honest passion in those pages. Most are written by David, a man after God's own heart. He was a deeply flawed man and yet honest in his dealing with Abba. Read, listening with your heart.

Another place to start is the Gospel (good news) of John. Jesus, the Word made flesh, comes alive in that narrative. Listen, don't just read, His questions to those he rubbed shoulders with. It's awe inspiring to listen to His words and stories.

To quote a distant acquaintance of mine, "Listen on, listen well".

2 comments:

  1. This was a good read for me, those aha momments make one realize that it is not just an 'owners manual' as you pointed out but a love letter. For years I have loved the acronym (B)asic (I)nstructions (B)efore (L)eaving (E)arth and (H)andbook (O)n (L)earning (Y)our. For me, being a techno geek the owners manual is the place I often go for help, to help me or someone else and it often proves invaluble. But for some it is not a good read as you pointed out and has given me a much deeper definition for God's Word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many times we are instructed to read for preparation for something in the future. I don't think that is a very holy way to live since we can only live in the present. Yes, the future is "out there" and we should be mindful of it but John 10:10 LIFE is lived in the present. The context of that verse is hearing His voice, the Good Shepherd. I can plan to listen in the future but the act of listening is a very, very present thing.

    Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete