Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Ache

Three weeks in
it aches.

Surprised with
a heart
missing Mom.

With all
said,
done,
I expected relief.

Now
my unguarded
heat
longs for Mom
and the mother
she rarely was
but might have
been
deep
in her heart.

She was there
but could only
rarely appear
through the
thick
protective walls
hiding her
fears
her flaws.

Somehow
even
my own heart
knows
she was there.

She loved
poorly
but loved
as best
she could.

I long for
even that
as I remember
good and
difficult days
with Mom.

2 comments:

  1. Grief is tangled,twisted unpredictable and long. Made especially hard when the grief needs to work through the additional grief of what could have been. Never easy.Thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lyn. I hold your thoughts in high esteem, my friend.

    ReplyDelete