Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Room

Sitting in church this past Sunday I was struck by a phrase we sang, "O come to my heart Lord Jesus, there is room in my heart for you." I've learned to pay attention when something in me stirs, even from familiar phrases. This phrase has not let go and it is two days later. Room in my heart for You. Room.

As I write, it is four days before Christmas and I can't let go of this phrase. Room. Really, is there room? The past several months have been busy. I was Scrooge in a production of Dickens' Christmas Carol and I took chunks of my picnic table time memorizing dialog. I am now almost three weeks past the production and I am having trouble finding the rythme of my very early mornings. I think that is why this phrase has stuck with me. Room.

All too easy I sang that phrase Sunday but now He won't let it pass easily. I've noticed He's asking me a question. "Is there really room for me?" It is not an easy question if I am to be honest with the One who loves me so deeply. How can I not be honest with Him? So, I take a deep breath and answer in the quietness of my own heart, unspoken words that ring clearly in His ears, "No." I've let things crowd in and I need to do something about that.

Again though, I am reminded that I need to simply turn to Him, settle in and let Him speak. This is a relationship, not a process. There is an ebb and flow to knowing Him. At the heart of this is the reason Jesus came. The path is blazed through Him into Father's throneroom. Light and Life are offered, not as a transaction bought by my good intentions but as simple and vital as breathing.

Take a breath. Let it settle deeply inside you and push away all the distractions of this season that keep you from simply being with Him. Make a bit of room and say, "Yes, there is room in my heart for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment