Friday, April 3, 2020

First Friday of Holy Week

Because of the mandate we are living under, Easter is going to be very different from what we are accustomed to. I thought I might write something and perhaps start a conversation that would help us all focus this week on the events we will be celebrating in a more “intimate” way.

I have this graphic in my Bible that depicts the events of the Holy Week we are entering into. It is a good aid to see the chronology of the week and what was happening. I thought I’d take a look at the scriptures for each day and make some observations. Feel free to write back and let’s see what others may be thinking as we walk through this week together.

FRIDAY

The first notation in the graphic starts with this Friday. There is only one gospel that looks at this day, John 12:1-11.

The scene is Bethany, the home of Mary, Martha and Lazarus. It has been some short time since Jesus has brought his dear friend from the grave. As I think about the scene and Jesus’ desire to be in Bethany I realize this is exactly where Jesus wants to be. I think Bethany is as close to “home” as any place for him.

I am still working during these peculiar days. As many of you know, I work in an essential business, the grocery business. My role is supportive to the 126 stores in my company. Today has been a particularly hectic day. I could not wait to get the day behind me and get home, leaving the chaos behind.

Jesus is one week from hanging on a cross. I wonder if he just needed this time in his friend’s home. He knows what he is facing and this is the last time he will have to simply kick back with good friends. Things are going to start moving very quickly and he knows this. Maybe he simply needs a quiet evening.

I love the scene, I can see them around the table and Mary comes in with a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume, and pours it on Jesus’ feet, wiping them with her hair. It is an act of intimate devotion and worship. This is not just words spoken by Mary or a look exchanged between Jesus and her. This is hands-on, down on her knees love. I doubt at that moment Mary knew the significance of what she was doing, she simply was following some leading in her to do this, to show Jesus how much she loved him. We can see from this and from other accounts Mary has a deep connection to Jesus.

I wonder if that scent of nard will follow him through the events of the following week. Certainly, the scent stayed with Mary in her hair. What a bittersweet reminder it will become as the week unfolds.

We also learn something about someone else, Judas. I am a little startled by John’s words about Judas here as he explains Judas’ role through the years of ministry as the keeper of the money bag. How did John know Judas had been helping himself to money from time to time?

We read Judas objected to Mary’s act of devotion questioning, rather disingenuously, why such waste. Certainly, the poor could have benefited had the nard been sold and the money used for others.
We want a villain and Judas seems to fill the role. We know what role he is going to play. But let me just say, this character flaw is important to note and I will circle back to it with an observation later in the week. His true colors are showing here.

If you read Jesus’ response in verses 7 & 8, try to hear not reproof of Judas, but a gentle acknowledgement of what Mary had just done. She didn’t know until that moment that this lavish gift she’d just poured out was for Jesus imminent burial. What must have gone through her heart at that moment?

We then learn a large crowd had gathered. Here is where my hectic day comes in to play as I let this passage soak in. I suspect, as noted above, Jesus may have preferred a quiet evening with these dear ones, his disciples and Lazarus’ household. But evidently that was not to be. We don’t have a record of Jesus speaking to the crowd. I doubt he ignored them though. What could he have said? We may never know. Or perhaps we will when we are finally in our eternal home with some of those that gathered that night.

We also learn something else. Lazarus has a price on his head. He is the living embodiment of Jesus’ power over death. The short-sighted Pharisees can only believe if they kill Lazarus and make good on their plans to kill Jesus, they will finally be rid of this itinerate rabbi who has caused them so much trouble. I would imagine they may forget about Lazarus when finally confronted with Jesus’ resurrection in a little over a week.

So, that is just a little start to our journey through these days. Let this scene rest a little as a prelude to what is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment