Saturday, April 4, 2020

Saturday - Easter Week


I am not looking for anything profound as I walk through these days of Holy Week. I simply want to pause, observe and notice the Spirit's movement as we celebrate this week of redemption.

Saturday

There are no mentions of this day in any of the four gospels. It is Sabbath, so the crowd from late in the day Friday would have dispersed before sundown, the start of Sabbath. That would have left Jesus, his disciples and the household of Lazarus free for the rest Sabbath should provide.

This had to be welcomed by Jesus. He is God, but he is also man. I don’t proclaim to understand incarnation, frankly, I am a bit suspicious of anyone who thinks they have this mystery figured out. As a man who also is God, I believe he knew what was coming but was experiencing this knowledge as a man at the same time. I think Jesus took this day and spent it with his Father, our Father. He had always drawn away to be alone with Abba throughout his years of earthly ministry. What better place for him to be on this last Sabbath before crucifixtion?

I am thinking that while we have no record of activity for this day, I can’t help but sense a hush in the heavenlies. A pause before the drama and battles of the coming week. Perhaps all of heaven fell silent. What might have been going through the mind of Abba as he observed his only begotten son rest in this Sabbath?

Things may have been stirring in the heavenlies that are against Jesus. Angelic beings have a perspective we do not have, but they don’t possess foreknowledge. I do wonder if our enemy was busy planning, stirring up plots in the hope of defeating this grand plan of redemption for the world. If redemption is completed, the enemy has lost, and I doubt he was sitting by on that Sabbath. Passover is coming and this just might be the opportunity to put down this grand plan of redemption for good.

Even on this day, some 2000 years later, I am resting in the silence. Resting, watching and waiting. It is a grand cosmic pause unlike any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment