Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Tuesday Easter Week


Tuesday

The passages that are believed to tell us of Tuesday are found in Matthew 21:23-24:51, Mark 11:27-13:37 and Luke 20:1-21:36. These are long passages, even Mark with his succinct style devotes part of two chapters sandwiching a complete chapter. I’ve not done any word count, but I believe Matthew’s account is one of the longest sections of “red letters” in the four gospels. I think it ranks in the top three sections along with his account of the Sermon on the Mount and John’s account of Thursday’s Upper Room discourse. These passages for Tuesday are rich.

My intent to write has never been to give an exhaustive study of these passages. I simply ask that we sit with the passages. Perhaps, through imagination, place ourselves into this week and notice; allowing God’s Spirit to move in our noticing.

Having said this, I must admit the length and scope of Jesus’ recorded words on this day are daunting. These passages need time, perhaps fasting and prayer (conversation). Unfortunately, I am still working through these days with not the time I wish I’d had. I think I am sensing God tell me that kind of time may come next year after I am retired. I will look forward to next year’s Holy Week.

The scope of what is covered is staggering. There are parables, one illustrates how poorly God’s prophets were treated and his own death is alluded to, rather thinly veiled in my estimation.

There are Pharisees and Sadducees questioning him, trying to trip him up and implying he has no authority to speak as he does.

There is a fairly long discourse regarding future days and his return including the statement he does not know the hour or the day of his return, only the Father does.
Matthew outlines seven “woes”, decrees spoken against those that lead Jewish religious life. Much of these words are harsh, up to the point he tells them they are nothing but cleaned up containers of death (my paraphrase of Matthew 23:27).
This is a record of his last interactions with the leaders before his upcoming trials before some of these same leaders as well as his public teaching before the crowds. It is remarkable and deserves more than I am prepared to say here.
I wonder what may have been going through the thoughts of his disciples. They love him, believe they would follow him anywhere, but I can believe some may have cringed a little at the boldness of Jesus’ words, especially to the Pharisees.
Have you ever had a good friend or family member speak in such a way that you wished they’d kept their thoughts to themselves? I have, and I’ve had many times I wished I’d kept my thoughts to myself. Jesus had always been bold and spoke with an authority the crowds were amazed at, but some of these words will certainly get him into great trouble. This may have been some of the thoughts of his disciples.
But I need to pause here and remember, Jesus spoke only the words his Father gave him. He is speaking his Father’s heart. I believe the intent was to wake up those that were leaders to their own bankrupt lives. They needed to hear these words, but their pride would not let them take the seven “woes” to heart. At the sound of those words directed to them, they have only two choices, humility and repentance, or outrage.
We also get a glimpse into what troubles our Father; bad religion that only burdens those seeking Him, religion that is more about a leader’s intent to attain and maintain power over people rather than lead them into freedom from sin and into God’s kingdom.
It is not all harsh though. There are words from Jesus expressing his longing to gather his children as a hen gathers her chicks. I can hear the longing in that tender statement. This was part of that day, as well.
Perhaps you feel a little overwhelmed at the length and scope of the words attributed to Tuesday of Holy Week. I believe God understands that reaction, but He still invites us into sitting with something from that day. As I wrote earlier, my intention in writing has not been about fully understanding everything that was said and occurred during this important week. My hope is for us to observe and notice what the Spirit prompts in us.
Read some of these passages in gentleness, letting God choose a section for you and let it soak into your spirit. Let yourself enter and sit at Jesus feet as he speaks to us. You won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment